Monday 1 October 2012

Alphabet Soup-Visual thinking 1 (OUGD403)

ALPHABET SOUP - VISUAL THINKING

WORD PICKED FROM THE RANDOMISER
'MELT'
Research beginnings

THINGS TO REMEMBER
-Finished Letter forms must be hand drawn
- Black and white, No colour
-Well crafted
- Not the obvious
-Keep it simple.

Because I only have a limited amount of time to not only come up with my ideas but to execute them to a high standard, I need to make sure i stay focused. This means after a small amount of experimentation and research, I need to make sure that i stick to my initial idea, complete it, and move on to the next.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

RUFF SKETCH IDEAS

Toasted Sandwich
(Tuna melt? Cheese melt)






Based on the existing typeface 'Razzo' that i have then morphed. 



 

More Detail.
grill marks to show heat applied. The whole point of toasting/grilling a sandwich is so the cheese melts.



Deeper grill markes to enhance the type of sandwich this is??




Experimentation with the letter H. Because the overall shape is square, this resembles a sandwich more.




Experimentation with the letter D. I like that this letter has a larger surface area therefore clearly showing grill marks in the bread enphasizing the heat applied to melt the filling.

MORE DETAIL



*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

ICE
(Ice bergs melting, Global warming, Environmental issues, wildlife)


 RUFF SKETCHES
FOR IDEAS



Experimenting with shapes that can be recognised as a ice berg as well as a letter form may be difficult. The sketch above was an attempt at the letter A.
The first vision in my head was a larger ice block with smaller is blocks trailing behind diminishing in size to indicate the melting process.

A I felt that the method of drawing ice bergs to look like letters was not successful, I reversed this and started with the letter form shape first and them modified it to look like a block of ice.



 I want to get the point across that this design in based on the melting ice caps. To do this i included the small silhouette of a polar bear as i believe that this arctic animal is the symbol of the issues created by global warming.
(I still need to sharpen up this drawing using pen.)


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *


CHOCOLATE FONDUE
(A letter being dipped in melted chocolate?)

 RUFF SKETCHES
FOR IDEAS


how to draw the fondue folk to see how i could make the chunk of letter food look impaled.


I think making the tip of the folk visible makes the image look overly complicated so decided to hide it behind the lump of letter food.

RUFF FINAL SKETCH

For the finished piece i will make sure that the dipping chocolate is shaded darker than the actual letterform to help indicate that the melted substance is chocolate.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

OTHER IDEAS
(NOT SURE IF I WILL PERSUE)


A MELTED WICTH??

Even though we were instructed and advised to look past the work and don't do the obvious, I think that this idea is a bit too far fetched and my imagination may be running away with me.

SOAP??

The same goes for this idea. even though technically soap does melt, when people see this '0 shaped' piece of soap, i don't believe that the word melt will be the first thing they think of.



*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

NON-SPECIFIC IDEAS
(SIMPLE IDEAS)




 


(RUFF SKETCHED OF EXPERIMENTATION)

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

FINAL DESIGNS FOR PRESENTATION








Overall I am pleased with the outcomes I have come up with. I feel that they have a wide range in style and ideas how ever still evolve around the word 'MELT'.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

MY CHOSEN 5





Our group then stuck our chosen five solutions an the wall so we could each look at what others had come up with.


OUR GROUPS LETTERS


*  *  *  *

We the swapped groups with the table next to us and started to critique the work they had done. We had to take down the images we thought did not well represent the word they was meant to interpret.

THE 5 REMAINING LETTERS FROM THE OTHER GROUP WE HAD NARROWED DOWN

THE 5 REMAINING LETTERS ON OUR WALL THAT ANOTHER GROUP HAD NARROWED DOWN

We then had to narrow down the other groups wall even further so only one letterform was left, therefore making it the letter that most represented the word given (out of that group).


On our wall the last letter left was mine :)


I found this session very helpful as it allowed my skills at critiquing not just other's work but also my own. At the end of the day I think that many of my letterform did not stick too well to the brief as they were based on things that actually melted rather than resembling the word its self.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  

No comments:

Post a Comment