Tuesday 16 April 2013

10 Things - Publication OUGD404

OUGD404
10 THINGS ABOUT GRAPHIC DESIGN
PUBLICATION.

INITIAL DRAWINGS.




NARROWED DOWN LAYOUT CHOICES.
I feel that these borrowed down layouts display simplicity. this is through the minimal amount go boxes on each page were the image and text would sit.



 FINAL PAGE LAYOUTS
I chose the page layout that based its self on a rule of three. Each page is cut into three on the horizontal axis allowing room for the three main features to the content (Headings, Body text and image). Using this restraint I created a few variants so that different types of information can be displayed in differing way, however they all still remain constant and uniform.

DIGITAL EXAMPLES







Because i want my document to have the persona of an instruction book, I defiantly nee to apply a simple layout to my publication. Usually smaller instruction books come in the form of a fold out paper. However with larger pieces of machinery such as vehicles and garden equipment, the books come binded in double page spreads. 
Through research on my Context blog many vintage manuals are a standard A5. Many of them are also printed with simple black illustrations and text on a coloured stock. Even though i like how this looks, because many of my diagrams and colour based, it would not be possible to do this.
the stock used is always cheap as they are produced in very large amounts and distributed around the world along side the product they are based on. these are all things I am going to take into consideration when creating my publication.


*  *  *  *  *  *  *  DIGITAL THUMBNAILS *  *  *  *  *  *  * 







PRODUCTION.
COLOUR MODES.
Because Im not too sure yet on the final page layout to which I wanted the pages in my book to run by, I started with one of my favourite design ideas and started to create it. I like the idea of re-creating the typical RGB and CMYK diagrams into a new and perhaps more appealing form. even though I wanted to change this diagram up a bit i still wanted the shapes to still successfully show the point being put across and remain understandable.
Using the recognisable diagrams as a reference i started to create the new diagram i created when sketching initial ideas.


It took me a while to figure out how to arrange each shape to ensure that the correct bits overlapped. To do this I had to make the red diamond shorter so that the cyan and white had room to be shown.
Now I had the correct layout of the different coloured shapes i could apply this same arrangement to the CMYK colour diagram.



Here are both completed colour mode diagrams.
After finishing the shapes i could now turn my attention to how i could display these images in a double page spread. 
I experimented with the angle of the diagrams. However  i feel that having them horizintal make them look like fish which is not very fitting to the task in hand.

I prefer having the images large and on a vertical stance pointing upwards. i then started to play with the positioning of the text.



 
 I prefer having the text at the top as it is paired with the heading as well as communing in first ahead of the image. I also feel that this haves more feel of an instructional booklet which is the ethos I am trying to display.

I also played with the frames around the text.
 I feel that having two bars in stead of a four sided box gives the page a more open feel. It also cordons of the text from the image nicely so as they do not interfere with each other.



Using several guide lines to cut up the page to align and position each feature appropriately. I also added little decorative strips of grey down each side of each page I feel that keeping these character peaces of the book colourless helps to keep the focus on the imagery and information presented.


COLOUR WHEEL
One of my ideas in presenting how the colour wheel works was to have a fold out mechanism. This first idea had the wheel fold out on 3 pages.The first page lifted over to the left and the second page lifted over to the right.
Space on the back of each colour wheel section and the space around the actual parts of the colour wheel could be utilised when displaying accompanying text.
While I was attempting to layout this Idea I realised that this 3 page fold out would cause problems when trying to print. Not only do I have to ensure that each ring of the wheel is lined up perfectly, Figuring out how to layout this page for print ready for when we get back after easter may hinder the time I have in the printing slot.

Because of these issues I decided to go back to my sketch book and figure out an alternative to this idea.
I tried out the idea of starting off with the circle of primary colours and then as the next two pages are turned the secondary and tertiary colour rings layover it. This method still requires the pages to have cut out features, however because they all fall in to the mechanism of th basic book format this would be a much easier alternative. I also think that because for this visual work , the pages of the book just work as usual which i believe intern witll just aid the flow of the book and the information with in it.

I started to digitalise this idea. I found it quite easy as the images are very simple and as the lay over each other, they speak for themselves.

 I started to ply with the layout of the last page to get an idea of how it looked once all of the pages were viewed together.

 I utilised the guideline and grid tools available on the Indesign software to ensure that the imagery and text aligned nicely.

Because each section of the colour wheel is split so they can be explained individually this means that I will have to dedicate space tho the individual bits of text. Because of this restriction I will have to think about were things should be placed in order not o clutter the appearance.


Because I have chosen to use the cordoned of text and title with the to horizontal lines, it does not suit having 2 headings (the colour wheel and then the title of each section).
Because of this i think that I may use the either a whole new double page spread previous to the diagram for the title or simply use the numbering in the bottom corner to indicate what information is being given.
As first i greatly preferred having the tittle and text on the opposite to the image. However I realised, because of the cut out feature, the opposite page will have a chuck missing. Because of this I feel that it would be better leaving the opposite page completely blank.


I also realised, for the pages to lay over the top of each other while the pages of the book are being turned, the images need to be on the left hand side. I have also made sure that each ring of the colour wheel are measured to the page so the line up perfectly when cut out.


COMPLIMENTARY COLOURS
For this page I thought that using the colour wheel format shown in the precious section would work well to demonstrate this point. This will also relate the colours on the colour wheel making it easier to understand.
 At first I added some arrows around the outer ring of the colour wheel to indicated which colours were opposite to each other. However I felt that this diagram was too complex.

 Because the main complimentary colour are yellow and violet, blue and red, orange and blue, I decided to indicate them to make the diagram more understandable and direct. i also add some arrow to show which colours were opposites.
  I feel the arrows were hindering the aesthetics of the diagram and that getting rid made the colour ring look more appealing and almost futuristic. I feel that, along with the information that will go with it, the diagram is well explained. I don't want the pages to be too patronising.
 To accompany the diagram I wanted to display the effect complimentary colours can have on each other. At first i tried showing this through a basic box shape.


To start an visualise how this double page spread  will look I used nonsense text while deciding on the layout of the images.


I felt that having the colour is blocks across the page vertically or horizontally made the pages look unbalanced. 


I experimented with different shapes to display the complimentary colours and preferred the use of these triangles. I think that they all work together well in the way the make a larger triangle shape as well as filling the centre of the page like the diagram on the left does making the double page spread more balanced. 
I think that the triangle shapes run with the shapes I used for the colour mode diagrams which helps to keep the booklet consistent.



THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A TYPEFACE AND A FONT
To display the difference between a typeface and a font visually I thought that using the Helvetica typeface would help to explain. Because it is such a well known typeface, it is something that people Graphic Designers can already relate to.
 I used measured guidelines to help me place and arrange each text box which show each font available in Helvetica.

 On the left hand page i simply displayed Helvetica the original typeface to indicate the whole family in the typeface. On the right hand side I used the variants together to show what the fonts with in this typeface are.


 I feel that having each font arranged vertically looks more aesthetically pleasing.

I added information to the top of each page explaining the differences. at the bottom of the left hand page i added specific information about the Helvetica typeface. at the bottom of the right hand page I added information listing the font variations shown above.

I decided to display the example type in the same grey colour as the bar of decoration that runs down the sides of each page. I feel that this help to differentiate the informational type from the visual examples.


STYLES OF TYPE
I started to experiment with ideas on how to display the 4 different styles of type: Block, Script, Gothic and Roman. my first idea was to have many different styles displayed on each page. each example would write the name of the style of type displayed and described. 
While trying to get multiple examples I thought that repeating the same thing looked very boring. Because of their i decided to change up this idea slightly.


I used the well known letter reference 'the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog'. I still wanted to have a few variants in typefaces to display the multiple types of fonts with in these categories.
I aligned the four examples of type down the middle to keep the pages balanced. i did this by using the guideline tools.
At the top of each page i had a brief description of each typeface style. At the bttem of the page I listed the names of the typefaces using as the examples.



PANTONE COLOUR MATCHING SYSTEM
Firstly i liked the idea of using the display of colour you get when looking at pantone on the photoshop program. I like the way these images look like a wall tiled colour.
I also like how this shows of the sheer amount of colour there is available to use.


When I placed it on the double paged speed with some substitute text I felt that the image did not reflect the familier system that is pantone. Because this manual it directed at up and coming designers I thank that it is important to have imagery that will reflect aspects of Graphic design that need to become known.


I feel that displaying pantone along with the very recognisable swatches is a better way to go. I think that the physical swatches are better known visually in this format.



TYPE & PERSONALITY
Here I decided to use colour as well as typeface to enhance the personalities of these fonts. the fist page shows typefaces that do not match what is written. I feel that then, when the more recognisable partnerships between colour, type and word are displayed on the opposite page, the realisation is stronger.
The explanation of the example is shown above and the names of the typefaces are also displayed.



READABILITY & LEGIBILITY
I feel that knowing the difference between legibility and legibility is an important thing to decipher. I tried to make an example that once again relies greatly on visual realisation like many of the pages before hand.
 To visualise both of these examples i took definitions on Graphic design and played on the visuals of these. For the readability page I messed with the line length, kerning, tracking and also hyphenated many of the words. After reading the top, readable statement, trying to read the same statement below gives you a realisation of the effects these features have on your ability to read and take in what is being said. I also feel that the light grey colour also hinders the readability as well as keeping within the design of previous pages.


 To explain the effects of legibility I decided to used a typeface that relied on upper and lowercase letterforms as well as having varies stroke widths. Along with the explanation at the top of the page presents the issue of legibility while separating it from the term of readability.


At the top of each page i have written an explanation to what each term means. at the bottom of each page i have labelled the top and bottom quotes as legible and illegible and readable and unreadable. Along with the negative labelling I have indicated to why these versions are difficult to read.


SERIF & SANS SERIF
After the cut feature used for the colour wheel diagram, I liked the idea of using a similar method when displaying the difference between serif and sans serif fonts.
 This idea ha a page with a cut out of a sans-serif A. Around this cut out i added the serif features. On the page behind, I drew a the same sans serif A as the cut out on the page in front and blocked it out in black. This makes it so the first page show a serif font and when this page is turned the serifs are removed and shows the sans-serif font.

I also tried this backwards were the it starts with a serif font and a cut out falls on top of this when the page is turned. This cut out blocks of out the serifs converting the A to a sans serif version. I feel that this second version works smoother than the first.


Here i tried the same idea on a slightly larger scale with the ABC letter forms. I really like the seamless way in which this point is explained and i also like how this remains consistent with the previous colour wheel cut out feature. I feel that it makes the manual more interactive rather than simply supplying block of explaining text.


When adding this ideas in a double page spread, I used the same layout i used for the colour wheel. Keeping the right hand side blank leaves space for the cut out feature.
I also decided to keep the ABC features black so that the shadows are concealed more around the cutout, making the illusions more vivid.


10-30-60 RULE
To explain the helpful rule for choosing effective colour schemes, I decided to use the triangular shapes again. This keeps the pages consistent. I feel that showing a few example shows that this method is consistent and is something that can come in useful when decided about colour.
I used the same layout used for the pantone double page spread so that these pages remain balanced and uncluttered.


I decided to organise the book so each point flowed into the next. I grouped the colour together and started with the colour wheel. this then goes on to the complimentary colours, colour modes, pantone and the the 10-30-60 rule. i feel that in this order they all lead into each other.
This then goes on to the typography based spreads starting with the simplest, serif and san-serif. This then goes on to the difference between a font and a typeface, type and category, type and personality and the difference between legibility and readability.


 Once i had decided on the order of each double page spread, I then put together a simple contents page to the beginning of the book.


I did this using the same layout as the pages within the manual as well as using multiple guidelines to help keep the headings well spaced.

With the cover of the book I want to use a ruff kind of stock in a grey colour. I will have to fine a suitable stock that will let me digital print on it. I want the cover to be grey to enhance the colour scheme with in the book. i feel that this flat colour will also give this booklet a manual/instructional type feel.


Because i want the cover stock to be a light grey colour (similar to the colour used with in the book) i made the features on the cover a darker fray so they will show up on the stock. i have kept them grey so the cover and text coordinate with each other with out looking to vivid in black.
I added a slight decoration in the form of a diamond to conform with many of the illustrations and diagrams with in the book and I feel that this adds a little personality.


*  *  *  *
PRINT AND FINISH
I really wanted to have the cover to my book a light get coloured stock, however because the front pages are attached to the first and last pages this would not have worked.
I used bulky news print as my stock as this is a cheaper resource however it is tick enough to pair the weight of some of the coloured diagrams.


After printing i used the guillotine to cut my pages to size. I then used a ruler to fold each page down the middle. After double checking the folds and fit I used the stapler to bind the book using a measured guide down the spine.


To cut out my overlapping colour wheel i used a bladed compass.



(SPELLING MISTAKE TEICHARY = TERTIARY)



EVALUATION
I would have set my document up so it would have been possible to have my cover printed on a coloured stock. i would have taken into consideration the side of my front cover and maybe making it bigger to show a neater edge. i would have also liked to have experimented more with different binding techniques, however I feel that I should attend workshops to gain experience for this. because I did not know anything of this skill i feared that i would have messed up my final print. After proof reading I still missed quite an obvious spelling mistake which would obviously be corrected in a new print (I ran out of time in my sign up session in the digital dungeon).





No comments:

Post a Comment