Monday 21 October 2013

Design for Print / Foil & Flock / Testing


9 / 10 / 13
OUGD504
DESIGN FOR PRINT.
PRINTING PROCESS - SCREEN-PRINT / FOILING & FLOCK.

Even though I do have some knowledge and experience in heat press foiling, Screen-print foiling is something I am not very familiar with and is something I would like to set and maybe compare to the heat press method. 

This method is also compatible when printing with flock which is a texture and aesthetic that I am really keen to try and experiment with.


FLOCKING
Flocking is the process of depositing many small fiber particles (called flock) onto a surface. It can also refer to the texture produced by the process, or to any material used primarily for its flocked surface. Flocking of an article can be performed for the purpose of increasing its value in terms of the tactile sensation, aesthetics, color and appearance. It can also be performed for functional reasons including insulation, slip-or-grip friction, and low reflectivity.

SCREEN PRINT FOILING
The principle is simple. The foil has a top clear carrier sheet that has the shiney foil image applied to the underside of this sheet. The foil portion of the sheet will stick to most “adhesives.” In this industry, plastisol is the adhesive used to pull the foil off the carrier sheet and hold it in place on the garment.


I have basic knowledge on how the green printing process works and I know that this method works similarly to this regarding the preparation to print. 

I could find any examples of foiling or flocking onto paper stock, only fabric. However the process of screen print flocking and folioing are the same.

Im excited to try this technique using both printing materials to understand and get experience on what to do, how to do it and how I can play and experiment with it.
I prepared my screen the usual way through washing with the appropriate chemicals, emulsioning, exposing, rinsing and leaving to dry.

To start the printing process I secured the frame to a portable bed and takes off the edges one the screen. I then placed the stock underneath the screen and dragged the sqeegy tool over the surface, evenly distributing the adhesive. The adhesive then only leaks through the exposed design onto the stock underneath.
Here is a picture of the fresh adhesive print.


When flocking on to the stock you have to ensure that the flock is covering the design, face side down. When foiling you have to make sure that your foil is face side up. For the flock you have to have the heat press set to 170 and have the timer set for 20 seconds and for foil it is 160 for 12 seconds.

Her are my foiled design examples.
DARK BLUE FOIL ON BLACK STOCK
I like the effect of this colour combination and feel that it gives of a mysterious feel.

HOLOGRAPHIC FOIL ON STEEL BLUE STOCK
I do like the 


 HOLOGRAPHIC ON BLACK STOCK.


Here are my flocked design examples.
BURGUNDY FLOCK ON STONE STOCK




GREY FLOCK ON STONE STOCK




GREY FLOCK ON STEEL BLUE STOCK


BURGUNDY FLOCK ON STEEL BLUE STOCK

No comments:

Post a Comment