Tuesday 29 October 2013

Design for Print / Initial Ideas / Group Crit 1

25 / 10 / 13
OUGD504 / DESIGN FOR PRINT.
INITIAL IDEAS.
INFORMATION PACK FOR PRINT.


Even though I have introduced my self and experimented with most of the print processes available at collage, I still didn't really have much of a clue on what you could do for the actual information pack. To start thin ink of possibilities and getting into the frame of mind regarding an actual product a sketched up a quick diagram to get some initial thoughts and ideas on paper.
This helped me get the thought process going and start to develop possibilities.

The purple, highlighted features of the diagram are things that stood out to me. Regarding the 'Available Print Process' I decided to highlight the process that I felt that were more regarded as useful for Graphic designers and what could be important for the work of Graphic designers.

These processes were:

- Digital Print (Laser/Inkjet)
- Screen print
- Embossing
- Foiling
- Flocking
- Lino cutting? (Not completely sure).

The thought of making something specific to Graphic Design came to me while taking part in the workshops I had put myself forward for as well as experimentation and reintroduction works I have done in my spare time. While printing with the mono-print, chemical etching processes and talking to Technicians about the lithograph and Collograph processes, I realised that there wasn't much chance as a Graphic Designer to use these processes to complete works and design. This came in a range of reasons such as time consumption, complexity and cost.

At first i thought that aiming this product at first years of Graphic Design. I felt that this was a very viable option simply because that I have been that audience along side my peers so I know what can be useful for new students who are excited to try new things.

I also think it is a viable direction because, to make this kit on my own i can only really utilise the facilities we have at collage. This is also the same for new students coming into collage and realising that there are restrictions on what you can produce considering the facilities and methods available at LCA, however I want to open up the possibilities students have under these facilities.

After deliberating through my spider diagrams I feel that I definitely want to make the most of the fact that the product has to be a kit rather than a simple book. I wanted to create something that was different to the norm of a simple manual or instruction book.

At first I though about making a book that included information on each specific printing process. this would be accompanies by pieces with in the kit that would act as examples of each process. so things such as posters, business cards, postcards etc.
However I felt that this would be a bit boring and bland, especially as the examples would have to be something quite erelivent from the book/product its self as they would be something random that just looked good.

Through this I came up with a concept of, instead of having accompanying example pieces, have them included in the actual product. Almost as if the product is inside out. 
For example, I could emboss the cover of the book and within the content would be the stage by stage visuals (most probably photographic) of how I made the embossed cover. That way the audience is reading and taking in visuals on he process and also see visually how the finish of the process looks as well as how it fits in with Graphic Design.



*  *  *  *
28 / 10 / 13
GROUP CRIT.
A few people from level 5 set up a group crit over a lunch time period and I was invited to come along. Even though my idea is very much in its infancy, I felt that it would be helpful at this early stage to gather other/new opinions on what I have planned and the possibilities of how the product could be.


FEEDBACK RECEIVED.

- Think about the inclusion of linocut / Is it relevant enough to include?

- Perhaps a wooden box with a sliding lid.

- Have visual stage by stage chapters of each process while having the finished example present in the kit/as part of the kit (e.g show the stages of a screen print visually and have the finished print as a page, fold out page in the book or as a poster accompanying the book inside the kit).

- Prices regarding the print processes is important for students to know. This could be through stating how much this process cost me regarding how I have used it in the kit, this way the audience can visualise what is there while considering the cost.

- Audience would be ultimately 1st year Graphic Design students. It would be better to be specific to 1st years at LCA as the kit will only cover what is available for me to produce at collage.


POST-ITS FROM CRIT MEMBERS

No comments:

Post a Comment