Saturday 26 October 2013

Design for Print / Mono-printing

25 / 10 / 13
OUGD504 / DESIGN FOR PRINT.
MONO-PRINTING.

Mono printing is something I have not really had chance to try properly. I have had an induction to this process however i wanted to refresh myself and get a better understanding of the method and the aesthetic that are possible using it.


'A monoprint is a single impression of an image made from a reprintable block. Such as a metal plate used for etching, a litho stone or wood block. Rather than printing an edition of multiple copies of a single image, only one impression may be produced, either by painting or making a collage on the block. Etching plates may also be inked in a way that is expressive and unique in the strict sense, in that the image cannot be reproduced exactly. Monoprints may also involve elements that change, where the artist reworks the image in between impressions or after printing so that no two prints are absolutely identical. Monoprints may include collage, hand-painted additions, and a form of tracing by which thick ink is laid down on a table, paper is placed on top and is then drawn on, transferring the ink onto the paper. Monoprints can also be made by altering the type, color, and pressure of the ink used to create different prints.'

I decided to use a simple design for my work with mono printing so I could see clearly the effects of the of this method.
I feel that the straight lines and 3d qualities of this type would be fun to work with.




Instead of using just one colour, I decided to try a dual ink effect, this is something i have used but on once before and i thought this would be a good chance to try this method again. For my first try I used purple and red ink.

I rolled the ink over my plate and added my cut out letter over the surface making sure it was centred, straight and flat.

after placing my perspex plate on the table of the press, I covered it with the stock I wanted my print to be on and then covered this with newsprint paper and the press cloth. This is then posted through the press were the pressure causes the ink to transfer on to the paper.


It is important to remember to place your shape onto the inked surface in reverse so that the end print is the correct way round. This is the most important when working with type.




I tried this method again however this time using yellow and orange inks.


I took a second print for this plate to get a softer version. This is due to the fact there is less ink now present on the plate from the original impression.
I really like this effect as I feel it gives off a bigger sense of a hand rendered, organic aesthetic.


* * * * * * *
Out of all my prints this one is defiantly my favourite. I think this is because I managed to have to shadowed sides of the 3d letterform in a darker shade of ink which almost gives a sense that the W has been intended into the page.

I also really like the glow like border that runs along the bounds of the cut out. This is because of the ink that has been caught on the edges of the paper and that hasn't been taken up to much but the previous print.


*  *  *  * 


This technique is very simple and untaxing which makes it pleasant to work with. There are also many materials and textures that can be utilised through this method giving a depth to a deign.

Even though I did enjoy this process and now feel more confident when using it, I feel that this technique is not so suitable when it comes to producing designs with in fields of graphic design. I feel the technique is rewarding however not very reliable. I also think that the fact that you can only get one print means it cannot conform with production and distribution due to the lack of consistency.






No comments:

Post a Comment