Wednesday 18 December 2013

Design for print / Embossing / Front cover & inside pages

11 / 12 / 13
DESIGN FOR PRINT / OUGD504
EMBOSSING FRONT COVER & INSIDE PAGES
TESTS AND DECISIONS.

To start embossing i first had to book a laser cutting slot in order to cut-out a die ready for the embossing process.

I know it doesn't really matter with an emboss type like this because they can just be flipped over, but it made the cut out backwards as this is something that is important to remember to do when embossing as the imprint on the substrate will come out the right way when you but the die on it backwards.

While i was working within my laser cutting slot i cut out the dies i needed for both embossing and de-bossing.

 This is the original sketch for the idea i had for em-bossing and de-bossing. I wanted to remain with a consistant layout through my book when displaying each example.
I want to have the die as part of the book so this is how the pages will look when put together.

I will have to make sure I am aware of the influence of the emboss and de-boss has on the reverse side of the page as i will not be able to print on this.

 I cut out bothe the emboss and deboss dies on the laser cutter making sure I kept the letters safe to use.


I went down to Vernon street to use the press for both of my emboss and de-boss jobs. i started with my logo and tested this on normal paper to make sure it would work.
As you can see this worked very well.

While at vernon I spotted some material on the mezzanine that had a very nice quality. I had originally thought that I would use grey board as my cover, however, I asked staff what this material was and they said it was book binding board. It is a vert stiff board that is a deep greying blue colour. I asked whether it is possible to emboss on to this material and the replied that they had not tried it before. They gave me a scrap of this board  to test the embossing process on.


The eboss worked very well and i was excited to use this material for my cover until the tutor told me that it cost around £18 for a single sheet!

This discouraged me quite a bit as I had originally planned to have my box and book covers to be made from matching materials.


Because of this I decided to revert back to my original plan of using grey board.


(The picture does not do the imprint justice)
This worked very well and i am happy with the out come. i feel that having nude colour helps to enhance the feel of stripped back basics. Because all there is is the deboss, nothing disrupts this natural and raw process.


The emboss and de-boss also worked very well. I used bulky new print for this process as i had to make sure that the stock i used could be digitally printed on as well as embossed. Bulky newsprint is a tougher paper however can be put through a print. 
 It took me a while to get the letters as straight and aligned as I could making sure the heading looked as perfect as a digital print would.

I had to print the layout and accompanying type before hand because it would be a lot harder to do this the other way round. 

Even though the embossed type is a little off set from the centre, I think that the concept works well and once this page is with in the book it would probably go unnoticed.



No comments:

Post a Comment