Sunday 5 January 2014

Design for print / Finishing & Binding

2 / 1 / 13
DESIGN FOR PRINT / OUGD504
CONSTRUCTION.
FINISHING TOUCHES / PUTTING TOGETHER.


To  bring my book together I had to add introduction pages. I did most of these while in the process of making the pages for my book.

I wanted the introduction pages to be made from what ever material was relevant for the process.

LINO PRINT
I could either have a photograph or use the result of a print.

 The prints of this lino were not very clear and I'm guessing this is because the smaller text is pretty small.


I decided that the inked lino looked more vibrant and gritty which goes well with the hand on crafty look I am aiming for. 
I enhanced and flipped this image so it would read the right way

To show the tools involved in carrying out this process i set them up and precisely as I could.

I added the listed names of the tools using the photos hap software.


*  *  *  * 


SCREEN PRINT

I desided to expose a screen to show the information regarding the screen printing method.


I decided on this final image which I enhanced using Photoshop.
To show that tools that are needed for this method of print I decided to take pictures of the individual pieces of equipment need to carry out this process.

(I forgot to take screen shots of the making of this image.)




LASER CUTTING

This information just states the type of cutting effects there are available. I enhanced my final choice.


*  *  *  * 


For the examples of each of the screen print methods, i cut out the letters from the material they represent, apart from the foil. I digitally printed the foil word and heat pressed it. 

I applied these to a page that i divided into three to give the page a little more diversity.

The opposite to this page are explanations on what the different methods are and what the give.
I like how this adds a little more diversity to the book and how that the way it works adds to the explanation and understanding of the information being given.


*  *  *  *  


TRIMMING & BINDING

To prepare my pages for binding, I used a guillotine to ensure all of the pages were alighned with straight edges.
One i was happy with this. I clamped the book together and drill 3 small holes done the spine end of the pages making sure the drill bit passed all the way through.
I took three separate needles and started following the instructions from the lnk i had referenced previously on single page coptic binding. With each page that was added I had to make three link stitches through each whole.
I am happy with the outcome of this bind, however the bind seems quite loose. It is like this as i was nervous about ripping any of the pages due to them only being singles. If i could do the binding again I would try to get the thread a little tighter, but for my first time I feel that i did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment