Saturday 15 March 2014

Responsive / Wedding invite / Initial ideas & Development

14 / 3 / 14
RESPONSIVE / OUGD503
LIVE BRIEF / WEDDING INVITATIONS.
INITIAL IDEAS.

Due to the tight time scale I had to complete the first part of this brief (the notice of marriage) I didn't really have time to sketch ideas. I decided to work straight from a digital bases looking at typography and possible icons and layouts. 

Many of the examples Mandy had sent me are made up of a couple different style of type so I started to look at what i could use from my library go typefaces. Once I had a good combination of typography I could then start to apply this and to the notice of marriage and the rest of the invitation.


 I started with an anchor shape and adding type to this simple block image. I looked at different styles of typography and seeing how these look when combined together. I also used the wedding colours requested by the client.

 I really liked this typeface because of the rustiness and also how the striped decoration resembles a rope that is also a typical nautical symbol.


I played with this typeface a little trying the combination of this and a script font called 'Dragon is Coming.


I remembered that I had a file that contained a few different imagery of some symbols and textures, I started to look through this and found an illustration style dove. I duplicated this image and placed the two adjacent from each other as if they are about to kiss.

I thought that this was a nice symbol of the coming together of the couple as well as the dove being a good omen in a sailing sense as they were a sign of luck.

I think that the ruffness of this image also goes well with the typeface.


I added the dates of both events on to the front of the notice so the recipient understands there are 2 things they need to know about and these are dates that are important.

Even though i initially liked the rustic typeface, i think that along with the images it looks a little to informal considering the importance of the event.




I tried another typeface that had a character and a texture but had a cleaner finish .




*  *  *  * 


DEVELOPMENT / ALTERATIONS TO BRIEF

About a week after the initial inquirerey from the client, she contacted me again and said that she had changed her mind on the Notice of marriage aspect and instead of having the notice sent out separately, it would be easier for all the aspects to be sent out together.



In a way this made things easier for me as it meant I could concentrate on the whole thing at once, However on the other hand it also made the time restraint that little bit tighter because the notice needed to be sent out a soon as possible to make people aware in good time what was going on.

This means I am going to have to step up and concentrate this quite a bit more to get the designs done so I can then send them off to print in good time as well allow time to put together the different components to send to Mandy.



*  *  *  * 


FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

I still hadn't got the feel and aesthetic of the invites were I wanted to then develop and create the actual product. I continued to tryout different layouts, typefaces and visuals for everything.



 Out of all of the combinations that I tried, I preferred this one. I think that both the non-script typefaces oppose each other in a nice way were one is filled and the other is not.

I added a border around the a5 size format and also looked at different ways in which the title of the card could be arranged on the page.




I feel that the upper, central positioning offers a more formal and traditional aesthetic. 

Now I have a layout that I am happy with I decided to look at how I could apply these aesthetics to the back of this part of the invitations. This part tell the recipient about the wedding taking place in Turkey and an explanation of the circumstances.


I like how the uppercase stylised typefaces look as though they are encasing the main body if information. I also think splitting up the little bits of information makes it easier to read and understand as well as creating an aesthetically pleasing layout with the different typefaces.




Im really happy with this layout. I think that the use of different typefaces helps to break up the information which in turn makes it easier to take in and remember. I also think it adds a sense of fun to the notice and both typefaces are of a traditional feel, the script type looking like hand written message making it look more personal. The second typeface has a vintage feel to it which also contributes to the subtle nautical theme.


*  *  *  * 

Now I had sorted the notice of marriage I started to turn my attention to the other part of the mail shot being the invitation to the celebration party. Because I now have the aesthetics, layout and typeface down I can apply this to the invite.

Mandy sent me the information needed for the invites:
- On the 24 / 8 / 14
- Starts at 2pm till late
- At the Smith home


I started to apply this information in the aesthetic I had created previously.


 I started with the basic layout taken from the previous document.

I started paying with the composition of the type and the information. It was a little difficult to start of with to incorporate the different typefaces and the different bits of information while still trying to keep that layout similar to the previous document. this is because there is more information to consider.


Even though I wanted to break up the information somewhat, doing this to much made it harder to read and take in.
This layout is not working in the way I wanted to as the type is to broken up and the middle section is long and thin making the page unbalanced.



I jigged about the message slightly in order for the layout to look more aesthetically pleasing. I also believe this reads much better were as the flow leads to the different pieces of information.



This is the back side of both the notice and the invite and I am happy that they are both consistent in aesthetic. Even though I liked the layout and composition i felt that the navy blue colour was a little heavy. t get around this I played with reversing the colours of the invite so even though the layouts remain the same there is still a little diversity between them.


I think that having each piece as inverted colours as it also helps to differentiate the documents in to separate pieces of information but still work together in a consistent manny due to colour and layout.

NOTICE FOR MARRIAGE



CELEBRATION OF MARRIAGE





No comments:

Post a Comment