Tuesday 25 March 2014

Studion Brief 1 / Packaging Development

OUGD505 / STUDIO BRIEF 1
RESEARCH PUBLICATION.
DEVELOPMENT OF PACKAGING


Regarding the ideas i had come up with previously when thinking about packaging my publication. 

During the last crit, many people suggested that i should go with the packaging idea that was mad up of a sliding box that resembled dripping chocolate. i started by testing out this idea first by making a mock up.

 Even though I do like this packaging and had a lot of fun putting it together as a box. I feel that it is a little impracticable conceding the drips. They get caught on the edge of the second part of the box making it fiddly to slide them together. Because they are flimsy and have not muck holding them steady, they also get caught even when the box is closed causing them to bend out of shape.


I felt that having this would hinder the professionalism and crafting skills I am trying to portray through this brief.

Because of this I decided to look at the other options. my personal favourite packaging design from he start was the one that looked like a chocolate box with the publication inside.

I started by making a mock up of the box I could use.


Im really happy with how this turned out and I think that it works well as a chocolate box. to reveal the chocolates inside I can cut a section from the lid and apply some acetate plastic.

I started to digitalise some design ideas for the box regarding the presentation though colours and naming.





I looked at were the open piece of the box could sit on the top in order to see the chocolates/publication through. I liked the rectangular shape that ran across the bottom of the box. I feel that this gives of like a traditional feel and also gives room to place the title of the publication.

After previously deciding to call the publication 'Empezar' due to the fact that this means beginning in Spanish (dialect used in the region chocolate originated) this is what I applied to the box design.

(Unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots of my process concerning this design.)


I used the rectangular open space along the bottom and also create almost like a tag that comes down over the top of the box. 

I added a pattern that i had found on the internet, even though this is something i want to create for myself after the presentation ready for submission. I feel that the colours chosen and the pattern used gives a good mix of tradition yet modern aesthetic which symbolises the brining forward of the original product. Having the logo displayed in a typographic nature lends its self to  more luxurious feel.

I mocked up the box in time for the presentation.
Im really happy with how this looks. I feel that it works really well considering the publication and how it represents the uncovering of the origin and basis of the food type so many love so muck. Th symbolisation of peeling back the decor and additives that go along with this product and brining attention back to were this product actually comes from and what it goes through to become the product we know so well.


*  *  *  * 




No comments:

Post a Comment