Sunday 23 March 2014

Studion Brief 1 / Slip Cover

23 / 3 / 14
OUGD505 / STUDIO BRIEF 1
SLIP COVER.
RESEARCH PUBLICATION.

I decided that it would be easier for production purposes to create a slip cover for my book. This way I can make the design on one single sheet and have it flow rarther than truing to break it up on to 2 separate pages on either side of the publication.

I started by looking at images of chocolate trays that come inside chocolate boxes.


I found multiple images that could be used for the slip cover in order for the surface to give the illusion of the box actually holding chocolates.

I measured out the size of the document in order to get the cover in the right dimensions. This way I could then apply the images and arrange it in a way that the chocolates would flow in a continuous manner across the front and back of the book.

On the image you can see that there is some gold foiled wringing on one of the chocolates acting as grading. I needed to get rid of this so that the publication wasn't linked to a particular brand. I did this using the clone tool.


 As an after thought, i thought that it would be a good ideas to add some of my own branding onto this chocolate in order to add some little finishing touches and attention to detail.

I measured out were the folds in the slip cover would be using guidelines so I could best position the image.
 Because this single image didn't fit the full page. I had to duplicate parts of it and attach them together so as too look seamless. I also added some of the sectioning features of the tray to the edge of the pages so it looked as id this actually was a tray to get the most realistic appearance possible.

 The light stripe down the middle of the image helps me to indicate were the central fold should be to to get the most balanced positioning for the slip cover once it is on the book.

Once printed and folded down the middle, the other folds can be carried out while held over the book as there is a chance the pages may have to be trimmed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment