Sunday 24 November 2013

Design for Print / Book Binding

24 / 11 / 13
DESIGN FOR PRINT / OUGD504
BOOK BINDING
CONSIDERATION OF METHODS.

I have tried the method Japanese binding/stab stich binding before and ever though I o like the aesthetic this method of binding gives, i would like to try something that I have not tried before.
With a lot of binding you have to be aware of the effect it has on the inside margin in you book. With the binding I have used before I have made the mistake of not taking into consideration the amount of room on a page the binding can take and how this effects th opening a viewing of the inside pages.

CHOOSING THE RIGHT BINDING TYPE
I found this link very helpful while thinkning about the possibilities I could use for my print book.

Because of the complex nature of my book and the possibility of multiple materials and types of paper, I need to consider this when deciding on how to bind my book.

My initial idea was to use the Tape binding method as this would allow me to work in single pages rather than having the concern of complex pagination.
EXAMPLE OF TAPE BINDING



I made a small example to get an ideas on the aesthetic this binding method would give (the colours use are not an influence for my finished product.
The colour here have no reference on my finished book, just a simlpe test.
I do like the finish of this type of binding and i feel that because my content would be quite complex that having a simple bind such as this would balance the publication out quite nicely.


*  *  *  *  


After my last crit on the 10 / 12 /13 I was advised to change the style of binding because it was suggested that this type of binding may effect the way in with the book is received.
During this time i have also looked at other binding techniques.

I like the look of the screw binding technique.
I think that this type of binding may suit the hand on aesthetic I am going for and it would also be easy to work around considering pagination as I can bind in single pages.

I went to Vernon street to enquire about this technique to get some advise on what would be best. The technician suggested i look in to a technique called coptic binding. She said it would be beneficial for the type of book I am making because it allows the book pages to open and lay flat.

I started to look further into this.
I had heard of this technique before but not actually looked into it properly. I really like the aesthetic of this type of bind and I think it would really look nice with the ethos of the publication I want to make.



The only worry I have is the fact that the examples i have looked at all have paged that are folded for pagination.

I tried to find some examples of single page binding.


There aren't really that many examples of single page coptic binding online or in any books I had looked in in the library. There are also not tutorials online. The only thing I could find is this link.

http://www.boundarypress.com.au/tuteSingleSheetCoptic.php 

On this page it actually states that this binding technique is best to use when binding pages of different consistencies and materials.

I had a little dabble in the technique to see how easy or hard it would be.

 I wrapped a little magic tape around the edge of the page because the first attempted ripped straight through the page she I tightened the link stitch

Im really impressed with how this looks and even though I found it difficult to make the first link stitch, once you get going it becomes easier to make the stitches when adding each page.


No comments:

Post a Comment