Friday 10 January 2014

Print & Web / Boxes & Packaging

5 / 1 / 14
PRINT & WEB / OUGD504
BOXES & PACKAGING.
IDEAS.

I started looking online for boxes that I could purchase and use for my gift set. Considering i only had a week to sort stuff when back at collage for the deadline, I thought making my own box may be a step to far due to time restrictions.




After looking at multiple possibilities I decide on this box. It measures 30cm x 40cm x 10cm. I chose this size because i feel that it is substantial enough to get multiple gifts inside and has a his latch for the hinged lid.

Whne the box came I was very please with it aesthetic and dimensions. However were I thought i could simply un hinge the lid and put this in the laser cutter and re-attach it once cut, the box actually has a hidden hinge.

I took the box to the technicians in the woodwork department to ask their opinion on what i could do. the suggested just simply knocking the wire inside the hinge out and then replacing them with new ones once the lid had been cut.

That afternoon I went to my laser cutting slot to etch the top of my box lid. Firstly I tested the cutter on the setting when i had entered my design into the software. this was to make sue that the laser did not cause the wood to burn.


As this seemed to work well, The technician set up the compartment of the laser cutter so the lid of the box would fit inside. He did this by taking out some of the slats at the bottom of the compartment and  propping up the lid on wood so it would sit low enough for the laser to cut.

Unfortunatelty, it was only half way through the cut that i realised that the lid had been put in upside down now meaning the crest was upside down!
i let the cutter carry on with the cut as the technician said he may be able to attack the lid back on the other way up.



While it carried on cutting, i set up the other cutter to cut out the same design on some plywood just incase i had to discard the cut out on the box and attack another panel on the lop with a new cut out.

Once both the box and ply had been cut i then had to wait until the next day to see f a solution could be reached.

i went back in the morning to drop off my box. They told me to leave it with them for the day and they would come up with a solution. The day before I had enquired about the possibility of making a tea tray to accompany the box. the tea tray would need to sit in the box as snug as possible. The were happy to help me in making the tray and we sat and discussed the composition of this tray and they were very helpful in advising me on what was best.

I left the jobs with them for the day while i went to the print rooms and foil.
Half way through the day I suddenly thought that the spare ply that I cut out the day before could be part of the tray. 

I ran down to the wood work rooms and gave the spare ply to the technicians who said it wouldn't be a problem.

At he end of the day I went back down to the woodwork rooms and the technician was just finishing up.
When I saw the results I was so so happy with how everything looked and i couldn't thank the technicians enough for their help! (especially after a disastrous time in screen print that day).


*  *  *  * 


CONTENT OF BOX


I had gathered a few lift;e boxes form craft shops that i had spotted in leeds and halifax. I started to arrange these inside the box to get an idea on how i could display the content.


No comments:

Post a Comment