Monday 13 January 2014

Print & Web / Printing / Foiling

10 / 1 / 14
PRINT & WEB / OUGD504
PRINTING / FOILING.

I went down to the print room on the Thursday morning to wash and emulsion 2 screens so I could then foil the next day. After cleaning them both I placed them in the drying room labeled up so I could emulsion them after lunch. When I went to the drying room to emulsion only one of my screens were there and the other one was missing. i can only think that someone had seen my clean screen and instead of taking the time to clean their own, took mine.

I did not have the time to clean another screen at that point as there was a big queue, so I decided to emulsion the one I had and then come in early the next morning and clean another screen.
I did so the next day and managed to emulsion the 2nd screen before lunch and I put it in the oven next to the one i put in the day before. I bought everything I needed for the process during the lunch time opening hours so I could get everything done that afternoon.

I when to get my screeners to expose them and the larger of the 2 was not in the heated cupboard. I went to check the other rack and it was not in there either. I knew that this was another screen that had been nicked from me so i went to the office were the technicians also looked for my screen just incase I had overlooked it, but they couldn't find it either and confirmed it must have been stolen.

I was really upset that this could have happened to me not once but twice and it completely ruined my plans for the day. After looking everywhere for the screen an hour and a half had gone past meaning that there was not enough time for me to expose wash and foil my work. Before i left the technician offered me one of the screens they had prepared for one of their inductions. That meant I had to come in on Monday to print my work instead.

I was so annoyed that through the in-considerance of others that I had lost a whole day at such a curtail time before a hand in. I had planned to have all my printed items done on that friday so I could the assemble and finish my product the friday night and saturday morning and prepare other work and blogging comfortably before the hand in on Wednesday. Needless to say this did not happen.



*  *  *  *

PRINTNG



I was happy with the outcomes of my foiling in some parts however on some of the thin bits of detail did not come out so well.
I didn't manage to take pictures of all my foiling while in the printing process as I was rushing to get stuff done.

For the leaflet that is accompanying the acorn I tested out some different combinations of foil to sees which worked better.

 Gold / Gold & White

 I liked having the leaf in the white with everything else in the gold. Too much white looked odd.
This was my most preferred out come for the front side of my leaflet.

I thought that having the body type in black, this would make it easier to read. However for some reason the foil did not take very well.
On the second go I tried making the bottom half of the text gold to see whether this help the aesthetic.

Even though there are some slight disturbances in the foil i feel that this was a much better out come than the previous test. I also folded the paper to make sure that this did not effect the type which it didn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment