Tuesday 11 March 2014

Studio Brief 1 / Crit / Development

11 / 3 / 14
OUGD505 / STUDIO BRIEF 1
RESEARCH PUBLICATION / CHOCOLATE.
CRIT / DEVELOPMENT


CRIT
For this crit I took my design boards that included design ideas for the publication and the packaging. i also put up some of the images I had found online to give the others in the crit an idea of the aesthetic and flow I am looking to produce.



I also wrote up a sheet with some questions on to let others know the queries I was having and whether they had any ideas or opinions I had not yet thought about.



This is the feedback I received regarding the specific questions I asked as well as other welcomed opinions on my project.

FEEDBACK RECIEVED
- Illustrations, easy to grasp / Packaging is creative and relevant to the concept.
- Consider the layouts and how these will compliment the packaging of the book.
- Photography would be the best form of informational design as it is suited to the subject.
- Focus the sections of your book for quicker production.

Most people prefer the dripping chocolate packaging.

Development needed considering layouts and defined content chapters in publication.



*  *  *  * 

DEVELOPMENT OF CONTENT

Through my research I had found a good amount of images that meant I could stick to my original plan of using photographic images to show the production o chocolate. To start with I still didn't know about a layout, so instead of looking at drawing out possible thumbnails. I felt that doing this digitally actually using the photographs would give me a much better feel for the aesthetic and appearance of a layout.



I found a really nice image that was a large file that was of the cocoa pod in full and a pod slit open revealing the beans inside. I decided to take tho image and cut it from the background so that he focus is directed to it and also rotated it to an upright position.


I also adjusted the colours slightly so it looked as if each of the pods were the same.

Now I had some imagery to work with, i decided to have ago at applying there to some layouts. Then, once I am satisfied I can apply this style of layout to other pages in the book making the publication consistent and with a good flow.


Here I made the image bigger to show the characteristics of the pod better. The type and body copy then go on to describe the pod, how it is harvested and what it inside.


I made the images smaller and centred them so they were symmetrical bringing balance to the double page spread. Because the images were central to the page I thought it would best to also central align the body copy. 

To get a better idea of how these images would look as a double page spread printed out.



 Even though I like his layout with the pod that is split open, I don't think it suits the full pod and offers too much negative space. I also feel that I can't afford to have this section take up two double page spreads just because of the limited pages I have.


 
Even though I did originally like this layout. I feel that seeing it printed, the formation of the body copy didn't really offer its self well to the imagery through its layout out and its form through the style of the typefaces used.



I tried adding some more colour to the layout to make it a little more intriguing. I took the red from the images of the pods and applied to to the background of the type. Even though I liked this layout, i feel that even though the colours work well with this page considering the pairing with the pods, this would not be the case when paired with other imagery through out the book.


I got rid of the colour and kept the layout of the type aligned to he left hand side. I feel that this adds balance to the page especially having them the same hight on each page. I also changed the title typeface because i feel that having the straight, block lettering also lends its self to the balanced layout.

Now I am happy with this layout, i feel that I have a basis to work from when considering the rest of my pages to make sure the content of the publication remains consistent.

Before I carried on with the completion of my book I felt I had to define the content of my book better (this is also something that was encouraged through the crit.


- TYPES OF POD / WHERE THEY ORIGINATE AND WHY
- THE POD ITSELF / WHATS INSIDE
- THE BEANS / THE POD, ORIGINAL FORM AND THEN AFTER ITS HAS BEEN ROASTED
- THE GRINDING AND SMOOTHING OF THE BEANS
- THE EXTRACTION OF CHOCOLATE AND COCOA BUTTER
- THE FINISHED PRODUCTS


*  *  *  *


No comments:

Post a Comment