Sunday 2 March 2014

Responsive / Collaborative / Development / Crits

27 / 2 / 14
OUGD503 / RESPONSIVE
BEAR CEREAL / COLLABORATIVE 
GROUP CRIT / DEVELOPMENT 


Sarah and I presented to the group our defined concept and progress we had made. This included my own sketches and the digital variants Sarah had produces as well as our characters and the information and games that would accompany these characters.

After talking to the group about our own brief and the other groups presenting theirs, we were then asked to swap briefs with each other and comment on and advise on what we felt could be done to improve or help the concept.



This is the feed back we had received
**** images ****



- It was suggested that we look in to perhaps striking up a relationship with a zoo or multiple wildlife organisations that could then make it possible to give out vouchers or tickets to these places in a partnership.

- They suggested that we props all the characters to show that the entire alphabet can be covered with this concept.

Overall I think that the feedback and reaction we got from our concept was positive and made both myself and Sarah eager to push on with the more visual aspects and layouts.



*  *  *  *

DEVELOPMENT OF ANIMAL CHARACTERS.

I started to sketch out the animals we had chosen to base our 5 proposal boxes.
I started with the Jelly fish attempting to make the animal in the shape of a J.



I feel that the elephant is quite an awkward shape bu there is no other way to position it to make sure it looks like the letter E.



The owl was the hardest sketch for me as I found it hard to keep the balance between the visuals of the animal and the shape of the letter.



Out of all the animals I have sketched I think that the Chameleon is my favourite. The body shoe was easy to manipulate into the shape of a C.

Once I had sketched out these images I sent the to Sarah so she could the use her skills to digitalise them.

I decided to look into how the cut out could work with a stand and making sure these aspects would successfully when being cut out and arranged from a flat cereal box.

I cut out my sketch and looked and took a simple idea for a stand from some of the research that is shown on my context blog.


 This consisted of a simple strip with 2 slits cut from each side of the fold down the middle.
 At first I had the stand with the v point facing backwards, i sent these images to Sarah to see what she thought, I explained that we could easily apply imagery and theme to the stand in order for it to be in keeping with the style of character. Sarah suggested that we have the v pointing forward so the front of the product looked neater.
The defiantly was the better option as the stand does not take away from the visuals of the character.

While Sarah began to digitalise the character sketches, I started to look at layouts for the box starting with C for Chameleon. In the previous meeting, Sarah and I had decided that we would make this character in to a game that would allow the young audience to colour in the animal in order for it to become camouflaged and hidden into the background so it could then hide from prey.

I looked up various Jungle plants that I could use for the surrounding imagery.
I used these images of jungle foliage as inspiration when coming up wit a possible layout for the colour in chameleon game.


 I started to draw the scene using visuals from my research. I used the same shape for the chameleon as i had used for the letterform however had the character in a more natural position when hiding in the trees.
 I placed the cut out letter on the page layout to get an idea of how this imagery would work together on the back of the box. I felt that having the scene at the bottom didn't feel right as the character is suppose to be up in the trees. because of this I decided to put the scene at the top of the page rather than the bottom.


 I added in more detail so so the game would be more challenging to the child colouring in the image in order to make the chameleon paper camouflage.


I again use the cut out as an indicator on how this layout could look when on the back of the box with all of the aspects displayed together.




*  *  *  *


Sarah sent me the digital versions of my sketches.

Initially I really like what Sarah had achieved with these sketches, However after a while I was getting a little worried that the aesthetics of these images were not consistent with the brand we are working for.


The original aesthetics of the bear cereal brand use simple line drawings with little shadowing for effect. At the moment our imagery has a lot of textures and shadowing which does not suit the style already present.
I shared my concerns with Sarah and she understood were I was coming from so she started to adjust the characters.





These are the characters that sarah adjusted to make them follow the aesthetics of the brand a little more than the previous.




*  *  *  * 


Now we had an idea of a layout for the box, I started to sketch the other scenes for the other characters in a similar style. 

This is the scene for the bear based on the game we came up with before in the research. 
Once I had drawn the actual game I also added in a little scenery that could act as a template and guide for when we have to digitalise the image and apply it to the box. It also makes the scene more fun and interactive.



I then moved onto the underwater scene for the jellyfish character.
This is based on the game concept of spot the jellyfish so the idea is to make the scene as complex as possible to ake it more challenging for the younger audience.

i sent both of these designs to Sarah so she could then apply her digital skills to recreate ready to apply to the box and adapt appropriately.



*  *  *  *


ELEPHANT GAME

For the elephant game we had decided on a maze based game that incorporated the fact we had found that stated the elephants travel long distance to meet up with each other.

my die or this was to have a party were a couple of the elephant characters would be on the outside of the maze wanting to get to the party/gathering in the middle.

To save time of drawing a has myself. i found a webpage on line that lets you generate your own maze.
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/makemaze/


I tried out a few different shapes for a maze using this generated however the square shape seemed very awkward to work with an i don't think it would suit the layout of the box either.

 I decided to print of a circular maze from the internet so I could the draw over the top of it and give it the same consistent aesthetic that the other games have. I started to draw the characters at each entry of the maze, however i couldn't quite get what I wanted.
I went back to a clean sheet of paper and experimented with potential characters. While I was doing this I thought it might be fun that the gathering was a pool party considering the fact that elephants love water. i thought giving this concept allowed me to theme the game more specifically an give it a meaning and almost a story behind it.





No comments:

Post a Comment