Tuesday 8 April 2014

Studio Brief 3 / Movie Poster

8 / 4 / 14
OUGD505 / STUDIO BREIF 3
JACK NICHOLSON / POSTER.
BLOOD & WINE.



I watched this film and wrote down what I felt were the most crucial aspects.


- The diamond necklace
- The wine racks
- The fishing boat
- The pick up truck
-Throwing the wedding ring in the sea
- The car wreck
- Ray ban sunglasses
- The two diamonds taken from the necklace


I started by looking at the necklace that is the centre of the sort line.
This is the only image of the necklace i could find other than screenshots from the film. I had to make sure of the shape before re-creating int.

I found these images that resemble the necklace from the film. I started to experiment with them. I did not want to take a crazy amount of time drawing out the necklace so I played with the actual images instead.

I cut out the image and applied a filter to get the feel of the 2d image rather than a photographic one.
To symbolise the fact that two of the characters took diamonds from the necklace for their value rather than stealing the whole item, i scrubbed two of them from the image. Even though I liked the symbolism, i don't like the images as a whole and its appearance.

I decided to try some thing else.
I found this image of the sea and thought it might be interesting to work with this regarding how one of the characters regularly goes on his boat to get away and be alone in somewhere tranquil.

I thought that this could also tie in with the fact that the necklace get thrown into the sea at the sand in a desperate action to hide the crimes made.


I played with the colours of the image and also applied a filter.
 To represent the luxurious side of the story line I created a diamond shape from the water texture to see how this would look. I like how this looks and how the bottom of the diamond is darker through thehe texture. 
 I started to add to the diamond shape, first the droplet that could represent the ocean water or it could also be taken as a drop of blood.

I also added the bottom of the wine glass to the diamond to represent the business the main character the has (as well as the title of the film.

I still wasn't happy with this image so I moved on again to a different idea. Because the whole point of these poster is the fact that they rely on the actor Jack Nicholson. I started to look into including him into the posters.

 I found some good images that were at a size that were workable. I also noticed that in many of the images Nicholson wore ray bans and this is also true in the film. Considering that this actor is seen in these glasses a lot I felt it may be a good focus for the poster.
I started to play with this concept while still remaining integral to the film that is being presented.

 Using this idea, I took an image of the glasses and adapted it with some filters ( I forgot to take screenshots of this development) I placed the image of a diamond in the glasses to look like a reflection. I thought this would be a good symbolisation of the fact that the character only sees the wealth he will gain through the necklace and will do what ever it takes to get it, Even though this is to the cost of his family. This tunnel vision even came into play through the death of his wife in a car crash when he searched her as she laid dying for the necklace.

I though that the addition of the plaster was a good idea due to the fact that the main character is wearing it from the beginning and is as a result of a fight with his wife. It symbolises the scars and battle he has gone through yet still, all he wants is the necklace and the wealth that comes with it.

Even though I liked this image, I felt that there was too much negative space in the white. i started to play around a little more to tweak the idea and its appearance.


I used one of the images of Jack Nicholson I had found previously and applied it behind the image of the glasses to make it look as if he was actually wearing them. Making the background black and reducing the black and white image really gives eery feel which I think is very suiting to the feel of the character in the film as he is really un-predictable and dark.

 I added some type at the bottom that states the actors that are a part of the film as well as the name and directors. Having these aligned down the middle keeps the poster balanced.


This is my finished poster.
I really happy with how this turned out and i feel it symbolises the movie well in a couple of different ways yet comes together nicely to form a cohesive and successful piece. I am ask happy that this did not take too long to come up with yet is fitting to the film.


DESIGN BOARD













No comments:

Post a Comment