Thursday 10 April 2014

Tiger Print / Competition / All about type

4 / 1 / 14
RESPONSIVE / OUGD503
TIGER PRINT / COMPETITION BRIEF.
ALL ABOUT TYPE.


I decided to take part in this competition so i could play with my type skills as it something that I have not had too much time to do as of late. Because this is only a smaller scale brief I only wanted to look at spending a day on my ideas and creation so as not to take away time from the other brief I have going on at the moment.

I decided to concentrate on a valentines card design as this celebration is too far away. i also have an idea that utilises something that I came up with a couple of years ago for a personal valentines card.

It was just a random thought that came into my head when making this valentines card that played off the saying 'love is blind'.

'Some say love is blind, but my says are wide open and its you on my mind'
To me this implies the disregard for whimsical feeling and is a statement that shows that the person giving the card knows exactly way and who they want and the recipient is that person. Its like a stung statement that is purely a show of effect ion that they know it true. no nonsense.

I started to draw this saying in typography.

 To make it easier to get the type in a proper scale and to line up appropriately i decided to squared paper.

Once I was happy with the rough layout and compassion of the letterforms I traced the image to make it neater and then scanned it in so I could work on the aesthetic digitally.

This is the image I had traced over in red crayon and scanned in.

 To tidy up the design I used the photoshop software. i also used it to pull the lines of type a little further apart sothey were evenly spaced out from each other which also made it easier to read.
I got rid of the background from the scan so the type sat on a clean page.

 I started to experiment with the filter tool to see what effect the visual of the type and whether or not it improved the aesthetic. I think it really helps to bring out the hand-renedered style yet gives the edges and layout a more clean look.


 So of the filters i tried gave the visual a different dynamic but I was sure whether this was a good or a bad thing.
I also played with the colours to see if this enhanced the aesthetic. I like how the pink gradually change to red but I think this may take away from the hand-drawn quality that I had initially achieved.

I reverted back to a simpler filter that enhances the pencil line in the type.


Keeping the letter forms thinner seams to make the message easier to read and it also means that the type look more like a note which is kind of the look I wanted to achieve.

I played with possible colours that this design could be made available in. I like the thought of having cards that are not too typically valentines day with soft feminine colours.


Once I was happy with this design, I started to look into other designs that I could use for the competition.
Not long ago I got a Birthday card with the quote 'Have a toadily awesome birthday' on it.

I thought that this would be a fun thing to work with to make a cute and playful greetings card.

 I made this simple illustration using the out line of some frogs that are face to face almost as as if they are about to kiss with a lover hart above their heads. I added the type around the image with a simple sans serif form in uppercase. 'Im toadally in love with you'

I did this to save me time as it would have taken me too long to draw up and measure the typography around the image by eye. I printed out the image above and then sketched over the type in order for it to have a hand drawn quality.

I then scanned in the image again, and started to experiment with the filters.
 


Out of these designs i think that I prefer the one with the grey type because it sits well with the other soft colours that are present in the imagery. however the red type seems to imply a more romantic feel


*  *  *  *

MOCK UPS

Now i had my designs in placeI decided to mock them up on to cards so they could then be seen in a real life context. Even though I won't be able to submit these to the competition as they only asks for flat images only, I will be able to use them as part of my design boards.

 I took an existing image from the internet and applied my design to this.

Im really happy with the way in which this turned out and seeing the design in a real life sense really shows that this card can work as a product.


For the other card, I decided to take the mock up a little further. On one of my other projects I have been working on uses letter press. I have a mock up file that allows me to upload images to it that are then made to look like they have been letter pressed. i thought that using this as an alternative print process for my valentines card may be a more dynamic way of looking at the potential of this design.

These are the results of my mock ups and i am very happy with the way this turned out.


*  *  *  *

I submitted 2 versions of each of my designs to the competition on the dealing day 5/1/14.




I really enjoyed this brief as it allowed me to just sit and play with and draw typography by hand rather than useing digital software. I also liked the freedom it gave me to try different  ideas without research as the concept was already present in the occation and aesthetics required. As well as the aesthetics, coming up with suitable yet humorous language that a potential audience can understand and realate to. 

Making sure I limited myself with a shorter time period to exicute this brief allowed me to not get carried away with idea genoration and development which inturn let me utilise this time effectively.





No comments:

Post a Comment